Saturday, July 07, 2007

Nishabd

As most all of you might have known, I just love Bollywood movies. Call me cheesy but I like em. As I was walking around a place in Klang called Little India, a place which i just adore to pass by every day, I saw a poster with a younger girl wraping her hand around and old man whom I instantly recognised to be Amitabh Bachan. No one can miss out his signature silver french beard. Anyways at the side of the poster it wrote, "she's 18 and he's 60. Some love stories are never meant to be understood".

The poster was set up in a way to project the idea of gloominess and danger lurking behind these two couples as the colour black covers most of the poster and and only the faces of these two couples are discernible. It struck my curiosity and I told myself I must get the Vcd sooner or later. I could have bought it straight away but I can't as I've already bought Fanaa, another Hindi movie.

What else can be interesting than a love story between a youth and a man who is old enough to pass of as her dad? Well it is scandalous and I can't deny that that is the reason why I'm interested in the first place. But then I thought, this is going to be a hard plot to pull off. The center of the plot line is the odd couple and if the director projects them to be like any other cheesy romantic love birds which you can see in all the hindi movies, it will come off totally messed up and wrong. It may look incest even. The girl is too young to be made to act a love scene with an old man. The viewers will not be able to grasp the idea of love between two different generation. Nobody can stand the image of an old man and a young girl dancing around the garden and having a gross making out session. Besides nobody can watch the old Amitabh Bachan shaking his ass off. This movie can only turn out to be the extremes; either extremely bad or extremely profound.

Anyways, I feel like this movie is different. It digs deep into human psychology and break away from convention. It is dark and produced where dancing, singing, back-up dancers and colourful clothes are non-existent. I am curious and so very very very intrigued. This is the kind of movie that always pushes boundaries and carries a big risk with it especially to be produced in India. Being a land where most if its people face poverty, this movie will not be it's no.1 choice. Its people are looking for light-hearted and entertaining stories and this movie is definitely not one of them. Not many people would like to sit 3 hours in the cinema and crack their head to read in between the lines. Hence, I think this movie is not aimed at making revenues but more at revolutionizing the film industry and introducing new ideas and possibilities for cross frontier-ing love (is there such a word? you get my drift hehe). This is a great way to enjoy Hindi movie without being put off by cheap comedy and bad acting skills.

This is THE Asian movie to catch for. I am buying the Vcd this week, anybody wants to watch it with me? Sarah Chen I will influence you to love Bollywood movies despite how much you loathe them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home